Cooking time: 25 mins.
Serves: 16 servings
8 Tbl. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square cake pan.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate, stirring often. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, then the eggs and the vanilla.
3. Mix in the flour and nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 25 mins.
4. Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a wire rack.
5. To make the ganache, warm the heavy cream and chocolate, stirring utnil smooth. Let cool briefly, until spreadable. Ice the brownies with the ganache either while still in the pan, or after they're removed from the pan and cut into squares.