Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 7 hours
~2 pounds round steak cubed for beef stew
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup baby carrots
5 medium golden russet potatoes, cubed
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups beef stock
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
3 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, sliced
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Texas hot sauce (optional)
1. Place meat in a large ziploc bag. Combine 1/3 cup flour with salt, basil, thyme, and garlic powder; pour into the bag with the meat, and shake to coat.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add stew meat, and cook until evenly browned on the outside- sprinkle paprika over meat while browning. Transfer to a slow cooker along with the carrots, potatoes, parsley, and pepper. In a small bowl, stir together 2 cups of boiling beef stock and dry soup mix; pour into the slow cooker.
3. In the same skillet, melt butter and saute onions and mushrooms until softened; season with salt and pepper. Remove to the slow cooker. Pour red wine into the skillet, and stir to loosen browned bits of food on the bottom. Add Worcestershire Sauce and Hot Sauce, Remove from heat, and pour into the slow cooker.
4. Cover, and cook on High for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to Low, and cook for 6 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
5. Serve with warm French Bread