Serves: 4-6 servings
4 egg yolks
3/4 packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups table (18%) cream
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring table cream and milk to a simmer. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
3. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in whipping cream, vanilla and salt. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
5. Stir in cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.