Preparation time: 20 min (+ 5 mins cooling time)
Cooking time: 40 mins
Dietary guidance: v
Olive oil, to grease
3 bunches (about 900g) English spinach, stems trimmed, washed, cut into thirds crossways
1 tbs olive oil
5 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 eggs, lightly whisked
400g feta, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
16 sheets filo pastry
100g unsalted butter, melted
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Brush a 20 x 30cm ovenproof dish with oil to lightly grease.
2. Rinse spinach under cold running water. Transfer to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the spinach just wilts. Transfer to a colander and press down with a wooden spoon to remove excess liquid. Coarsely chop and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the shallot softens. Add to the spinach with the eggs, feta and dill. Mix until well combined.
4. Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a clean tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will prevent the filo from drying out). Brush 1 filo sheet with a little melted butter. Top with another filo sheet and brush with melted butter. Repeat with another 6 filo sheets and melted butter. Fold the filo stack in half crossways and place over the base of the prepared dish. Spoon the spinach mixture over the filo in the dish.
5. Repeat with melted butter and remaining filo sheets to create another stack. Fold the filo stack in half crossways and place over the spinach mixture. Use a small sharp knife to score the top of the filo diagonally. Brush with remaining melted butter. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly before cutting into pieces. Serve with lemon wedges.