Serves: 6-8 servings
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup 2% milk
1 cup table (18%) cream
1 1/4 cups unsweetened chestnut puree with vanilla added
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
1. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks wtih sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring milk and table cream to a simmer. Stir in chestnut puree. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
3. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in whipping cream and satl. Cover and refigerate until completely cold or overnight.
5. Stir cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.