Preparation time: 45 min
Cooking time: 3 3/4 hrs
Dietary guidance: v
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream
sea salt (be VERY careful with this!)
blue food coloring (optional)
green food coloring (optional)
1. Separate the eggs into two good-sized bowls.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
3. Mix the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
4. Slowly bring the milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Pour the hot milk into yolk/sugar mixture and mix well.
6. Pour milk/yolk/sugar mixture back into pot and heat on medium until thicker to make custard, or as close to it as possible. (DONâ€™T LET IT BOIL!)
7. Pour custard in with beaten egg whites and mix well.
8. Add sea salt. Keep adding salt until it tastes salty sweet, but be careful not to add too much.
9. Put mixture in fridge to cool.
10. Once cool, add cream and vanilla.
11. (Optional) Add 12 drops of blue coloring, and 3 drops of green coloring.
12. Freeze, following your ice cream makerâ€™s instructions.
13. (Sans the ice-cream maker) Pour mixture into 1 or 2 metal cake pans and set in freezer. Let sit until edges become firm, then remove and mix. Repeat until uniformly frozen.