Serves: 6-8 servings
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups whipping (35%) cream
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1. In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, melt chocolate. Gradually whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring cream and milk to a simmer. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
4. Return the entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
6. Stir cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.