Serves: 8-10 servings
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 cups half-and-half (10%) cream
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
1. In a bowl, whisk eggs with sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate and half-and-half. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until chocolate is melted. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
3. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
5. Stir cream mixture. Transfer 1 cup to a small bowl. Whisk in peanut butter until blended. Stir peanut butter mixture into remaining cream mixture.
6. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.