Serves: 4-6 servings
2 heads garlic
2 tsp olive oil
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup table (18%) cream
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
1/8 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Cut 1/4 inch off tops of garlic heads. Place each head on a large square of foil. Drizzle with oil. Pull up foil around garlic and sealt to make two packages. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
2. Open foil to expose garlic. Return to oven and roast for another 30 minutes or until soft and browned. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic out into bowl. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium-lwo heat, bring table cream, milk, and half of the roasted garlic to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
5. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
6. Stir in whipping cream and salt. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
7. Stir the cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Add remaning roasted garlic in the last 5 minutes of freezing and let machine stir it in.