Serves: 6-8 servings
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
1/3 cup orange juice
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup half-and-half (10%) cream
1 cup whipping (35%) cream
1/4 cup dark rum
1. In a bowl, toss raisins with orange juice. Let stand for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk eggs wtih sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring half-and-half and whipping cream to a simmer. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
4. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, sitrring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Stir in raisin mixture and rum. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
6. Stir cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.