Serves: 6-8 servings
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
1 1/2 cups whipping (35%) cream
1 1/4 cups chopped mixed candied fruit
1. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
2. Slit vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds into a medium saucepan. Add vanilla pod, milk and cream. Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and bring just to a simmer. Remove from heat. Let stand for 15 minutes, allowing the flavor of the vanilla to infuse.
3. Discard pod. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
4. Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnigth.
5. Stir cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Add candied fruit in the last 5 minutes of freezing and let machine stir it in.