Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 3 hours
3 med. skinless and boneless chicken breasts
1-1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 c. chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. poultry sasoning
3-4 large potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 c. diced carrots
1 c. diced onion
1 c. fresh or canned corn niblets
1 c. fresh or canned peas
1 c. heavy cream
4 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. butter
1, Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat large heavy pot over high heat and brown the chicken pieces on both sides in the olive oil. About 5 min. each side. Drain fat from pot and add chicken broth, bay leaf, and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is very tender. About 1 hour. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, tear into pieces. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, add vegetables and heavy cream to broth. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 20 min.
3. Melt butter, add flour and mix into a paste. Add a bit of the broth to paste and mix some more. When smooth, add to the pot and stir to combine well. Bring the sauce to a low boil and continue to cook until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 5 min. Add the chicken meat, discard bay leaf, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cook for another 5 min., then set aside to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 F and position the rack on the lowest rung of the oven.
5. Divide the chilled filling between 4 deep-dich pie crusts. Using a spatula, smooth the filling to the edges. Place the egg in small bowl and beat with 1 tbsp. water. Lightly brush the edges of the overhanging pastry with the egg wash. Top each pie with pie crust and trim edges to match those of bottom crusts. Using a fork or your fingers, pinch the edged of the dough together. Using tip of knofe sut decorative slots i the top of pie crusts to vent. Brush the top of each pie with egg wash.
6. Bake about 20 min. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and continue baking until the crusts are golden brown and filling is heated through, about 40 min.
7. Remove the pies from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Cut into wedges and serve>