1 whole fresh carp about 500g or trout and other firm-fleshed fresh-water fish
4 bamboo shoots sliced
5 tsp. rice wine
2 tbsp lean pork, diced and marinated in sugar
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
4 slices Chinese ham, steamed
4 black mushrooms, sliced and soaked
2 1/2 tbsp lard or vegetable oil
2 tsp. scallions, chopped in 1 -inch sections
1 tsp. ginger, sliced
1. Wash the fish and make 2 to 3 X-shaped slashes on each side.
2. Rub with the rice wine and let marinate.
3. Place on a heat-proof dish and sprinkle with the salt, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and diced pork.
4. Place the ham, lard, scallions, and ginger on top.
5. Place the dish in a steamer and steam for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
6. Discard the scallions and ginger, and serve.