Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Easy - for beginners
Serves: 10 pieces
For the fluffiest results, toss the ingredients together as few times as possible. When cooking, use two spatulas to turn “ one to lift and the other to support “ to keep the hot oil from splashing.
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre; pour in the milk and water.
- Toss with fork just until soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and with floured hands, press into 8-inch (20 cm) circles.
- Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a cast-iron or heavy skillet to come 1/2 inch (1 cm) up the side; heat over medium heat.
- Fry dough, turning once, until puffed & golden, and the tip of knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 8 minutes.
To serve, cut into 10 pieces.