Cooking time: 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours
This is a spicey cake - not overly sweet. My mum used to make it. I've no idea where she got the recipe from... I wonder if dad will know...
- 6oz butter
- 6oz caster sugar
- 3 standard eggs
- 7oz self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a separate bowl:
- 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 level teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 level teaspoon custard powder
- 1 level tablespoon black treacle
- 12oz icing sugar
- 4 oz butter
- 4oz soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Prepare a cool oven (325 degrees F)
Brush a 6 1/2 in round cake time with melted fat, line base and side with
greaseproof paper then grease paper.
- Cream marg and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
Beat eggs and add gradually, beating well after each addition. Fold in
flour with a metal spoon. Add 1 tablespoon milk and mix lightly.
- Place spices and custard powder in a basin measure bleach treacle
carefully. Levelling off spoon with a knife and make sure there is none on
the underside of the spoon, add into spices in basin. Add 1 third of cake
mixture, mix lightly until well blended.
- Place alternate portions of plain and spiced cake mixture in prepared
cake time. Lightly stir mixture with a metal spoon. Level top of cake
- Bake in centre oven for 1 1/2 hours - 1 3/4 hours. Test by pressing with
the fingers. If cooked cake would spring back, have stopped bubbling and
have begun to shrink from side of tin. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes
then turn out, remove paper and leave to cool completely on wire rack.
Sieve icing sugar into a bowl, place butter and sugar in medium size sauce
pan over low heat, stir with a wooden spoon until mixture boils. Remove
from heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla essence add icing sugar
in bowl beat until smooth, then quickly pour over cake. Spread frosting
quickly over top and sides of cake, swirl with a round ended knife leave in
a cool place to set.