Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Great way to eliminate a fishy taste and give a nice flavor to the fish. This brine is made without sugar and is delicious with or without the addition of butter, cooking spray, or olive oil.
- 2 5oz Tilapia filets (flash frozen from Costco work great)
- 3 Cups cold water
- 4 TBSP salt
- Garlic powder to taste (optional)
- 1 large Ziplock bag
- Butter, Cooking Spray, or Olive Oil (optional)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Thaw Tilapia filets if frozen
- Place salt and garlic powder inside Ziplock bag
- Add water
- Close Ziplock bag and shake brine mixture vigorously until salt is disolved
- Place both Tilapia filets inside the bagged brine mixture
- Seal bag most of the way, then gently squeeze out as much of the air as possible; seal bag completely
- Place in refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes remove the brined fish
- Spray a non-stick pan with Cooking Spray or place butter or olive oil in the pan (all optional). You can use a regular pan as well however the fish will stick without a grease added first.
- Heat pan using medium high heat
- Add fish filets
- Sprinkle with pepper to taste
- Cook on each side for approximately 3 - 4 minutes, possibly longer if filets are more than 1/2" thick
- Remove and enjoy!!