Preparation time: 2 days
I helped my hunting group break down caribou quarters from a fall hunting trip we took the trim and made caribou burger and italian sausage out of it. Here is the recipe we made.
- 50 lbs caribou meat and 17 lbs organic animal fat we used beef fat
- 2 1/2 cups minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups paprika (sweet)
- 3 ½ Tablespoons toasted fennel seeds
- 1 cup sea salt
- 3/4 cup freshly cracked black pepper
- organic casing.
- 1/4 cup cayenne
- ½ cup ground anise
- 2 cups freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 4 cups dry red wine
- Pork casings, optional
- Cut the meat and fat into 3/4" cubes, use shoulder and shank meat.
- Toss the meat, fat, herbs and spices in a large tub. Cover and chill for 1 day. Cook a piece of meat in a frying pan. Taste and adjust salt and spice if necessary.
- Grind using a coarse meat grinder. Pack in casings and vacuum pack or vacuum pack.