Cooking time: 30 min
Easy - for beginners
Serves: 1-2 pints
Cha Cha is used as a condiment like any relish. Also many recipes are enhanced by adding a tablespoon of Cha Cha while cooking. Use when cooking green beans, chicken, black eyed peas, mustard/turnip greens and any kind of soup or chili.
- 4 cups cabbage, grated
- 4 cups green tomatoes, chopped (you can substitute red tomatoes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. pickling spice (see note 3 below to make your own)
- 1/3 Tbsp. dried dill weed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar (add an additional 2 tablespoons vinegar if using red tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp salt
- Tabasco Sauce or jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- If you do not expect to consume within 2 days, place hot relish in sterilized canning jar and process in a boiling water bath 10-15 minutes.