Cherry Custard Ice Cream
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) pitted sweet cherries in syrup
- 1 1/2 cups whipping (35%) cream
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring milk to a simmer. Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
- Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor or blender, puree cherries wtih syrup until almost smooth. Stir cherry mixture along with cream into milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
- Stir cream mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.