Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Curry: fragrant, spicy, and sure to warm on a cold day! This dish can be served over steamed rice or couscous. Extras can be easily frozen, or taken for lunch the next day.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), cubed
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped
- 1 pint/2.5 cups mushrooms, halved
- 2 bunches leeks, sliced into 1-in lengths
- coconut oil, for cooking (omit for non-stick pans)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 T vegetarian oyster sauce (more to taste)
- 2 T tamari soy sauce (more to taste)
- 1 T sweet chili sauce (more to taste)
- 1 T ginger, minced (optional)
- 1 ts curry powder (more to taste)
- 1 ts pepper
- plain yogurt (optional)
- Prepare rice or couscous according to directions. (This can be done simultaneously with the preparation of the curry.)
- In a medium-sized skillet or wok, heat the oil and fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- When onions become transparent, add mushrooms. Stir in garlic, sauces, ginger, and spices.
- Toss meat and vegetables so that they are evenly coated. Add leeks, stirring occasionally until they are wilted.
- Serve over rice, with a small dollop of yogurt as an accompaniment if so desired. Should keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
The chicken in this recipe can be replaced with firm tofu or tempeh; reduce cooking times as necessary.