oh, i miss it in MUNICH!! The well-known and ever extensible versatility of the dumpling is believed its fans do not simply read recipes but uses them as a starting point for imaginative, and thus also for inventive, cooking.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, and cooled
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 2 eggs
1 .Grate the potatoes fine, or put them through a ricer.
2 . Add the eggs, flour, and salt, and mix well together.
3 . Roll this dough into 1-inch balls, and drop them into boiling water.
4 . Gently boil them for 10 minutes.
*A few tips may be helpful, particularly for less experienced dumpling makers who are exhorted not to give up at the first miscooked, collapsed dumpling.
- The flour to be used for dumplings should be self-raising or a mixture of plain and self-raising.
- Dough made of bread, the crumbs of bread rolls, semolina, must be allowed to “rest” for a while in order to absorb moisture.
- Flour and potato dumplings are shaped with floury hands. Some doughs are made by forming a roll on a floured pastry board, which is then cut in slices, filled and formed into balls by hand.
- Dumplings as garnish in soup, meat and liver dumplings, bread dumplings should be rounded with wet hands.
- It is advisable to cook one dumpling first as a trial. If the inside is “dry,” i is a success; if it is too solid, add liquid (soup, milk, water); if it tends to fall apart, perhaps bind with egg and/or flour.
- Leave the saucepan in which you boil dumplings half uncovered: only yeast dumplings should be cooked with the saucepan lid wholly on.
- Drain the dumplings carefully and serve in a warm dish. If dumplings are to be kept warm and you do not have a steamer, put them in a colander on top of a saucepan of hot water.
- Another truism applies here as everywhere: practice makes perfect.
5 . Lift them out with a slotted spoon and put them into a warmed serving bowl; keep them warm while making crumb topping or gravy.