Jiang Jia Mein (noodles in a chinese meat sauce)
- Dried noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes in oil, or chili paste, or dried Chinese red peppers (optional)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry/wine
- 1 tablespoon black/brown bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 package tofu
- Your choice of toppings: shredded lettuce, julienned cucumbers, chopped scallions and/or bean sprouts
- Prepare noodles as per directions
- Dice the tofu
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add garlic, stir-fry 30 seconds, then add ginger and stir-fry another 30 seconds.
- Add chili flakes/paste/peppers if using and stir-fry 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add ground pork, cutting through the meat in several places to break up.
- Keep stirring and breaking the clumps up until mixture is even, then add cooking sherry/wine. Mix well.
- Add bean, hoisin sauces, chicken broth and sugar. Stir well.
- Keep stir-frying until pork is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Drizzle sesame oil and give the mixture another stir.