Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
I make this with Quorn pieces instead of chicken and it™s really tasty, so it™s probably amazing with chicken. Serve with cous cous. This recipe is enough for two really greedy people. Tsp= teaspoon
- Slosh of olive oil for frying.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- chilli to taste eg. not overpowering or painful amounts
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of mild curry powder
- ½ tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp cumin (or cumin seeds if you like)
- ½ packet of Quorn pieces (for 2 people) or 250-ish grams diced chicken breast
- 1 courgette cut into nice chunks
- 1 leek sliced into thick rings
- Around 500 ml of vegetable stock or chicken stock- Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon stock is what I use, it might even be vegan, and it is totally brilliant and everyone should have some. Also you don™t need to use salt if you™re using this.
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme.
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- A handful of dried apricots roughly chopped- I really like a brand called Crazy Jacks ™cos they are sulphite free and really dark and moist, but I™ve only seen them in Sainsbury™s.
- You™re supposed to add some lemon juice before you serve it but I always forget. And some mint leaves, but I don™t own any.
Quorn chunk version:
- Frying: start with the onions, add the leek and courgette, garlic, then quorn chunks then chilli and spices until your housemates start saying œwow, that smells amazing (10 mins approx)
- Add stock, bay leaves, thyme and apricots and bring to a vigorous bubble. Add the tomatoes, turn down to a simmer and cook for half an hour or until the veg are at your preferred texture and the tomatoes have burst. The liquids need to reduce a bit, so don™t cover the pan.
- Add lemon juice and mint leaves if you can be bothered. Serve with cous cous.
Chicken version (I™ve never done this one)
- Fry onion, chilli, garlic and spices for 5 minutes
- Add the chicken, courgette and leeks and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme and apricots. Bring to a bubble, add the tomatoes, turn down and simmer for half an hour.