Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Easy - for beginners
Made with potatoes, corn, peas and onions, it can be considered a one-dish meal that has most of your daily nutritional requirements.
- 10-12 potatoes (2 to 3 potatoes per person,depending on the size), peeled and cut up
- 2 lb. fresh corn and dried beans or green peas (any type, such as kidney)
- 1 bag of baby spinach or pumpkin leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 large red or white onion, chopped
- 2-3 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 c. water
- Sauté the onion in oil until it is golden brown.
- Add potatoes to the onion and let them cook for three to five minutes, to brown.
- Then add water and some salt, bring to a boil, and let the potatoes soften.
- When they have softened but are not too soft yet, add the corn and bean mixture (called githeri) and the spinach, then cover and let
- When the spinach is well-cooked and the potatoes are soft, remove pot from heat.
- Drain the water and save it.
- With a potato masher, mash the mixture together, gradually adding the reserved water to moisten. Mixture should be firm like stiff mashed potatoes, not runny and not hard.
- Check seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- This can be served alone or with some chicken or beef stew.