Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Rigatoni pasta with Italian sausage, tomato cream sauce, and herbs
- 1 lb. dry Rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces, about 1 Tablespoon each.
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 8 oz. cleaned Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 10 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- Boil the Rigatoni pasta in well-salted water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. (Just cooked, not too soft). Drain, cover with lid, and set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan. Add the minced garlic and stir for 5 seconds. Then, add the chopped onion and sautee for about 10 seconds, or until onion is slightly translucent and tender.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook until only slightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and pour in the wine, and continue stirring the sausage until most of the liquid has evaporated. Continue cooking the sausage until fully cooked.
- Pour the cream into the sausage pan and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato, parsley, basil, and parmigiano reggiano cheese. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in the Rigatoni pasta. Add more salt and pepper if necessary, and serve immediately.