Preparation time: ~10 min
Easy - for beginners
A thickening/seasoning agent used in many dishes and mother sauces
- 1/2c flour
- 1/2c fat ( butter, margarine, peanut oil, etc)
- proportion is what is important. enlarge or reduce quantity as necessary
- put everything into a glass dish and microwave for 2 minutes
- take out and stir until smooth
- put back in and nuke another minute
- take out, stir
- now nuke in 30 second increments until you reach the desired color
- The bigger the batch the longer it will take.
- Some fats cook the flour faster than others.
- The darker it is, the more flavor it will add, but the less it will thicken.
- If you see little black dots, start over. It means that you burned it and it will make anything taste horrible.
- Be CAREFUL with this stuff, it will stick to skin and BURN.
Blonde - light beige, the color of caramel
Medium - Peanut butter
Dark, Red - milk chocolate
Brick, Black - coffee