Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
The New Basics
- 0.5 cup Madeira
- 2.75 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 ounce dried morels
- 3 leeks (white part only), well rinsed and dried
- 1 onion
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1.25 cups homemade beef stock
- 1 lb fresh cultivated button mushrooms, stems removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Creme fraiche, for garnish
- 1 bunch snipped chives (2 tbsp), for garnish
- In a small saucepan combine the Madeira, 0.5 cup of chicken stock, and the morels. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Dice the leeks and onions. Melt the butterin a large soup pot. Add the leeks and onion, and cook over low heat until wilted, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour, stir, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2.25 cups chicken stock, the beef stock, button mushrroms, morels, and their soaking liquid, and salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, until the mushrooms are soft, 30 minutes. Allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Puree the soup, in batches, in a blender or food processor. Return it to the pot and heat through over low heat. Serve garnished with a dollop of creme fraiche and snipped chives.