Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 60 mins
Spelt technically isn't gluten free, but this recipe is wheat free.
- 1/3 cup raisins/currents
- 1/3 cup liqueur (Brandy, B&B, Glayva)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 5-6 slices dry spelt bread (from loaf I made in my breadmaker)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice or Chinese Five Spice
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Soak raisins/currents in Brandy or Liqueur.
- Cut bread into small pieces into a casserole dish. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread, mix.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and Five Spice and pour over bread mixture and mix together.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, raisin mixture and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until the edges get golden brown.