Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Easy - for beginners
Spicy soup made w/ the odds and ends in your kitchen
- 4-6 C water or stock
- 2 C rice
- 1 large onion
- 4-6 stalks celery
- 0.5 - 1 lb carrots
- 3-5 cloves garlic
- 2 T sesame seeds
- 2-3 T sambal oelek (chili garlic sauce)
- Cooking oil
- Optional 1-2 lbs meat or meat substitute
- Chop carrots, celery and onions
- Peel and mince garlic
- In a small pot on low heat, lightly brown garlic in oil. Add sesame seeds to toast. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot on med heat, add oil, sambal oelek, and cook onions (and meat/substitute) until onions are soft
- Add carrots and celery and cover with water/stock and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until vegetables are cooked through.
- Top w/ sesame seeds and garlic.